1) Our ability to age well boils down to adopting a healthy lifestyle - our genes only account for around 20-25% of the way we age.
2) Exercise is the only real anti-aging pill we have - also look for less obvious ways to exercise like getting a dog, using the stairs instead of the lift, etc.
3) Chronic inflammation in the body is the root cause of many degenerative diseases. Adopt an anti-inflammatory diet using foods and herbs like ginger, turmeric and salmon.
4) Avoid eating processed foods. If a food has more than 2 or 3 ingredients it usually means it has been processed.
5) Keep your insulin levels to a minimum buy reducing sugars and simple carbohydrates. This includes things like fruit juice, died fruit and anything made with flour.
6) Chronic stress is the #1 premature ager - reduce stress levels by using breathing techniques and adopting effective coping mechanisms that reduce stress
7) Acceptance is a key part of aging well - stay focused on the benefits that lie ahead and not on what you feel you might be losing.
8) Look out for good aging role models amongst friends and celebrities, avoid the ones you feel have fallen into aging traps.
9) Our chronological age means very little in optimum aging – simply aim to be the best you can be at any age.
10) Our biological age is a far more accurate reflection of our true age - it is not linear and can go up and down depending on whether we make good or bad lifestyle choices.
Finally, always remember happy people live longer!!